Wednesday 9 April 2014

Oh University..

     I had a conversation with my Mum the other day about my writing and reading habits and we got onto the topic of my 'journey' through University. I honestly believe that going to school for something that I loved was a huge mistake and although I do not believe this to be true for everyone who goes to school for something they love, it was in my case. I lost all of my desire to read for fun because I was reading upwards of 5 novels a week..and we're not talking about short 100-200 page novels..oh no..we're talking 400-1000 page novels. Not only had I lost my desire to read for my enjoyment, everything I did read, I was analyzing to pieces..something I am only now able to dismiss somewhat as I'm reading.
     As a teenager, I wrote all the time. I was inspired by the Lord of the Rings novels and films and they really made an impression on me. But as University got under way..I stopped writing. I was writing my essays and things like that, but I could not write creatively anymore. I was devastated by the lack of creativity I had left and I wasn't sure if I was ever going to get it back. For about five and a half years..I stopped writing my stories and it really affected me negatively. In the last year I've been trying to write more but up until about six months ago I found it nearly impossible to sit and try and come up with something interesting. Even reading has been a huge struggle for me.
     Where I used to spend upwards of 4 hours a day just reading, never setting a book down, I went to barely being able to keep my nose in one for more than ten minutes at a time. I would become anxious and get frustrated and just put the book down, giving up. It was definitely very upsetting for me and it took me a long time to overcome that. Now I can sit and read like I used to and write like I used to, mind you, with a bit more skill and a stronger subject matter. My writing has definitely changed over the years and I suppose I do have University to thank for this, but my experiences too have really helped me along as well.
     Anyway, I just wanted to share this with whomever would like to read it. I guess it was weighing on me after having it brought up in conversation. But I'm slowly becoming more confident in my abilities and my strengths as a writer and I hope I am able to convey those skills through my stories. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I hope you're enjoying my story.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, I'm so glad you are writing again. I'm eager to see what you come up with. I had the same exact situation going to school for drawing, and 5 years later I haven't drawn a damn thing. It's true, it's freaking hard, super analyzing everything you do and trying to come up with something original. I've had a rough time getting back that drive and that creativity, but have found a lot of good learning resources.
Bit by bit I hope it comes, but absolutely -you can't paint a picture of something you've never seen. You can't write with any sort of credibility if you've never experienced it firsthand.
I took some risks, moved my family, lost touch with good friends in an effort to find myself. In the end I think it was for the better because I'm coming back strong, and with a clear head. Now I just have to find the time to get back into it and produce something.
It's funny Michelle as I'm trying to write my own fictional story and really had no one to bounce ideas off of. If it's not too embarrassing, I'd very much like to read what more you write. I never went to school for creative writing but I think this could help the creativity flow and give me good drawing material.
Say hi to the family for me. :P

-Callum

Unknown said...

It's wonderful to hear from you, Callum. I'm glad you've found some helpful resources, I know it's really hard to get back into the swing of things with anything creative. We get blocked every so often and it's definitely tough to come back from.

You'll get back into it, like anything it takes time, hard work and devotion. You'd definitely be a great writer, you've got the skills and creativity for it and it would be wonderful if my writing inspired you enough to start drawing again.

It was lovely hearing from you and I wish you nothing but the best.

Love you.